Barcode mystery

By GilaChess - September 25, 2015


If you are at the Malaysian Chess Festival hall outside, you will notice a strange barcode on one of the smaller notice board.


One chess player did ask me what it was but I don't want to spoil the surprise.

He guessed that scanning it will bring him to a particular website. I told him "what's the fun in that? A bar code just to point to some silly URL?"



About 2 years ago (yes it was that long!) I was excited that I could squeeze a full game into a bar code. Well at the festival, I get to try out this idea.


I recommend you download a good QR code reader if you don't have one on your phone or tablet.
QR Code Reader from the Google Playstore is what I am using (it's free). If you are from the iOS universe then I recommend QRafter.


Also, what self respecting chess player don't have a chess playing app on their phone?

Again if you don't have one, I recommend the app "Analyse This"

Step 1. Scan the QR code
Step 2. Choose "Copy" option to get all the PGN text.
Step 3. Open Analyze This app and choose "New Board" to clear the board.
Step 4. Choose "Paste".

There you have it, a whole game "sucked in" magically from the notice board into your phone in a matter of seconds. No WiFi, bluetooth or internet required !





At the moment I only have one bar code up but I will try to fill up the notice board with as many interesting games as I can.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Post a Comment

My Blog List