Is chess cheap for the average amateur?

By GilaChess - September 25, 2024

 I consider myself an amateur. Commented on Facebook with a blanket statement that for chess professionals chess is expensive but relatively cheap for amateurs. Let's just take a case study of entering the coming Johor Open in Jan 2025.




1. Entry Fee

  • RM 500 for my ELO rating of 1876.

2. Travel Costs

  • Bus: A round trip from Shah Alam to Johor Bahru would be approximately RM 80-100.
  • Car: Driving would cost around RM 150-200 for fuel and tolls.

3. Accommodation

  • Austin Park Hotel: RM 250 (estimated) per night for 6 nights (Jan 17 to 23) totals RM 1500. This includes daily transport to the tournament.

4. Food

  • Daily Meals: Budgeting around RM 20-30 per day, for 7 days, this would be RM 140-210.

5. Miscellaneous

  • Local Transport: Since the hotel provides transport, this cost is covered.
  • Other Expenses: A buffer for unexpected expenses, say around RM 50-100.

Total Estimated Cost

  • Entry Fee: RM 500
  • Travel: RM 80-200 (depending on mode of transport)
  • Accommodation: RM 1500
  • Food: RM 140-210
  • Miscellaneous: RM 50-100

Grand TotalRM 2270-2510

So I guess it depends on WHAT you would consider amateur level. For me, the Johor Open would not be a good fit since I would have to win 11th - 15th place to break even in entrance fee alone and with a cost approaching RM 2500 it is certainly costly overall. So the motivation should be other than winning prize money. But that's just me, I can't think of any motivation for a player my level. What do you think ? 

A disclaimer here: I have never been to the Johor Open at least not in this new format. Been to it several times before Covid but the "new" version is totally different so I can't comment on how I like it or not.

Let's look at last year's entry. The Amateur section had 55 players taking part and 35 of them are Malaysians.

Visit Johor Chess for more info about the Johor Chess Open




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Post a Comment

My Blog List