Minimising

By GilaChess - August 12, 2023

 




This year's Malaysia Chess Festival sees one big difference for me as a blogger because I won't be staying at the venue itself, which is Cititel Mid Valley, like in past years. I am not complaining, as I felt very lucky to be able to bring my home setup, which is multi-monitors and a full desktop setup, to the hotel room. And to do this every year! Anyway, at the back of my mind, I didn't expect this to last, and true enough, this year I'll be staying at a different hotel, but not far away as it's only 2 train stations (LRT) away.


I have to emphasise that this only affects this blogger and does not in any way impact the chess players or participants, as the conditions for staying at Cititel remain the same. To parents, chess players, and coaches, things should pretty much be the same grand old Malaysian chess festival.


The adjustments I've made is using  a small shoulder sling bag with my trusty Sony A5100 camera, Insta360 Go2 camera, iPad with keyboard, power banks, card readers, handphone for internet, and USB cables. The iPad should be enough for downloading pictures and videos and editing them. I think it's amazing that technology has shrunk so much that I can carry all the tools for content creation in a small sling bag!

No more option for multi-monitor setups like in past years where I can bring down my PC with a monitor down to the tournament hall and use that or bring them back upstairs to the room to use when the rounds are complete. 

This was a luxurious opportunity as a blogger but I have to be realistic here and have to expect organisers and sponsors to reduce cost where needed to keep the event running smoothly.

Don't get me wrong. Not complaining but taking this as a challenge and looking forward to see if the minimalistic setup will force me to work more efficiently this year. Some people may feel a blogger having a multi-monitor set up at a room just upstairs is overkill which I myself sometimes do.

This is in line with "minimalism "which I was introduced to by a chess friend last year. He was downsizing his computer equipment which I cannot imagine I'd ever do. Only today I'm getting the gist of what he was trying to tell me then, which is more is not necessarily always better.

Of course this covers a bigger aspect of life. There is even a whole one hour long Netflix documentary on this.







  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Post a Comment

My Blog List